Son of Mine
Theatrical feature film
Son of Mine (original title: Gluckauf) is a gripping social drama about the oppressive relationship between a father and a son, who as modern outlaws struggle to survive in the neglected southern Dutch province of Limburg.
Gluckauf (the miner’s greeting for a safe return from the deep) is the first artistic feature film of director Remy van Heugten and is fully spoken in Limburg dialect. The film is based on Remy van Heugten’s personal experiences, who grew up in this picturesque, yet poor region of the mostly rich Netherlands. A place where the social and economical consequences of the closing of the coalmines, many years ago, are still very much felt.
Lei, descendant of an unemployed coal miner, is an aimless man in his fifties, living a hand to mouth existence. When Lei’s son Jeffrey discovers that Lei has a long-drawn debt with Vester, a charismatic crime boss, he does what every loving son would do: he reckons his father’s debt as his own.
A BIND production in co-production with VARA broadcasting. Developed within the context of De Oversteek, and with the support of the Netherlands Film Fund, Mediafund and CoBO.
Showing in theatres starting on 29 January 2015. Re-relaes 8 october 2015 in 22 cinemas because of being the grand winner of Netherlands Film Festival.
Remy van Heugten
Mark van Aller
Moek de Groot
Vincent van der Valk
Kiki van Aubel
Ali Ben Horsting
Nico de Vries
Jan ten Haaf
- Winner Golden Calf Award for Best Film | Netherlands Film Festival 2015 | Utrecht
- Nomination Tiger Award | International Film Festival Rotterdam 2015 | Rotterdam
- Winner Grand Technical Award | World Premieres Film Festival 2015 | Manilla, Philippines
- Winner Best Screenplay | Brussels European Film Festival 2015 | Brussels, Belgium
- Nomination Grand Award| World Premieres Film Festival 2015 | Manilla, Philippines
- Winner Golden Calf Award for Best Director | Netherlands Film Festival 2015 | Utrecht
- Winner Golden Calf Award for Best Script | Netherlands Film Festival 2015 | Utrecht
- Winner Golden Calf Award for Best Camera | Netherlands Film Festival 2015 | Utrecht
- Winner Zilveren Krulstaart for Best Screenplay | Union of Dutch Screenwriters | Amsterdam
- Nomination Grand Newcomer Award | Mannheim-Heidelberg International Film Festival | Germany
- Honourable Mention Best International First Feature | Galway Film Fleadh | Ireland
- Nomination Golden Calf for Best Actor (Bart Slegers) | 2015 Netherlands Film Festival | Utrecht
- Nomination Golden Calf for Best Actor (Vincent van der Valk) | 2015 Netherlands Film Festival | Utrecht
- Nomination for Grand Festival Prize | World Premieres Film Festival 2015 | Philippines
- Winner of Zilveren Krulstaart | Day of the Screenplay 2015 | Netherlands Film Festival | Utrecht